Tuesday, March 25, 2008

An Online Recipe for Postum.... for Its New Manufacturer

There is quite a bit of discussion online about how to make Postum. Since the ingredients are on the jar and it was developed in 1895, it's a question of figuring out the procedure and the amounts. No fancy technology required!
Here is the basic recipe. I do not include it for the average Postum devotee, since it sounds like an incredibly labor-intensive mess, but for a food professional who wants to do it as a healthy "microbrew" niche product:
I am researching making Postum in small batches at home. I figure C.W. Post probably started with small batches for his sanitarium, made in an 1895 commercial kitchen, so it should be possible.

Three of the four ingredients are available in health food stores, the other one, maltodextrin is a modified starch used commercially. While Maltrin is available in retail quantities, (Body builders use it as a supplement) it probably wasn't in Post's original formula.

I have a good idea how to proceed, and just need to work out the exact proportions. I am interested in hearing from others who are trying to duplicate the Postum recipe.

Here's the procedure I will start with:

1. Mix together cracked wheat and wheat bran
2. stir in molasses, allow to set for awhile so the grains absorb\ the moisture from the molasses.
3. Spread on a cookie sheet, and roast at a low temperature (around 300 F)
4. When the grains are roasted, process in a coffee grinder to get the right granule size. ( I may have to add some kind of starch at this point)

I still have to work out the proportions of all the ingredients.

Anyone else who is experimenting, or has information on the formula or manufacturing process please contact me. I promise to post all results on this page.
ohb0b@comcast.net
If you want to read the follow-up points, the discussion is online at http://www.chow.com/grinder/4524




No comments: